Elections & Charlie Salem Award
Five positions are open for the DCGFFL Board. Brief descriptions are provided below.
- Director of Players (Currently: Joe Heron)
- The Director of Players is the vice-Chair of the League and serves as the liaison between players and the DCGFFL Board.
- They are responsible for handling player recruitment, registration, new player workshops, tryouts, and discipline.
- Previous Directors of Players have also helped run the Recreation League and have fulfilled various other tasks as needed.
- Treasurer (Currently: Keaton Fedak)
- The Treasurer will ensure the League is operating in compliance with 501(c)3 rules, manage league finances, file taxes, as well aid other Board members with ancillary tasks (e.g. previous
- Treasurers have organized special fundraisers, have assisted the Social Director with lining up league sponsors, and help ensure that apparel and awards are ordered on time.
- Social Director (Currently: Vincent Culliver)
- The Social Director works with businesses and organizations to obtain sponsorships the DCGFFL.
- They also organize social functions before, during, and at the conclusion of each season with support of the rest of the DCGFFL
- Director of Operations (Currently: JJ Johnson)
- The Director of Operations is the liaison with District of Columbia officials to obtain permits for fields.
- They also inventories equipment to ensure that the League is sufficiently supplied for game day operations and organizes set up and break down of playing fields on game days.
Please email the Board (email@example.com) if you have any questions related to the elections. If you are interested, a statement of candidacy (including which position and your reason for running) as well as a head shot are due by 8 PM, Sunday, November 17th. Voting will occur between Monday, November 18th and Saturday, November 18 at 12:00 PM. Ballots will be emailed to those who have played in at least one of the last two seasons of the DCGFFL (Seasons 18 and 19).
There are two members of the DCGFFL Board who will remain in their positions through the Spring 2019 season. Brief descriptions of their job titles are provided below:
- Commissioner (Currently: Brandon Waggoner)
- The Commissioner is the Chair of the League, responsible for overseeing generally the League’s operations.
- Communicate with Board members on their goals, timelines, and budgets.
- Communicate with league membership.
- Provide updates to the Board members on the state of the league.
- Organize elections for the Commissioner and Board members.
- Work with the Budget and Legal Director to ensure strategic goals are set and budgets are created annually that comport with the goals and missions of the DCGFFL.
- Director of Communications (Currently: Sean Karson)
- The Director of Communications coordinates with all Board members on providing the appropriate content for the website to address including, but not limited to, schedules, events, updates and any pertinent information deems appropriate by the Board.
- They send bi-weekly updates to the league membership about upcoming league events.
- They also maintain the DCGFFL websites, Facebook, Twitter, and other social media accounts to include updated and current information regarding team scores, game schedules, brackets, etc.
- Director At-Large (Currently: Stephanie McDaniel)
- The Director At-Large provides general support to other members of the DCGFFL Board as needed before, during, and at the conclusion of each season
- They have, historically, supported the league with its referees by:
- Developing prospective volunteer referees from league membership
- Organizing weekly referee schedules
- Interfacing with volunteer referees, including, but not limited to, facilitating payment, training and teaching NGFFL rules.
Charlie Salem Award
Members of the DCGFFL will be asked to vote for the Charlie Salem Award, the League’s highest honor. The Charlie Salem Award is given to the person who has impacted the success and perpetuity of the league, has demonstrated strong commitment to his/her team, and has embodied the attributes of a good sport. This person has also played the game skillfully and is a leader both on and off the field. Past recipients include JJ Johnson (2010); Brandon Waggoner (2011); Chris Cormier (2012); Sean Bartel (2013); Barry Mauck (2014); Sam Smallwood and Sean Wilkerson (2015); Steve Gong (2016); and Samuel Brown (2017); Brian Hotchkiss (2018). Nominees will be suggested by the Captains.